Sunday, March 1, 2015

Review: Seven Kinds of Hell


Seven Kinds of Hell
Seven Kinds of Hell by Dana Cameron

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Although I can't rate this full length book as highly as I rated the short story The Curious Case of Miss Amelia Vernet, it was a good read and I give it 3.5 stars.

 A short story is spare, with little space for repeated reviewing of past decisions and lost love, but this isn't not so true of a full length novel.  Zoe Miller, protagonist of Seven Kinds of Hell (Fangborn, #1), spends the first few days following her mother's death thinking about her past. It's a quick way to show her history without jumping back and forth in time, but it makes the beginning of the book drag a bit. This is a book about werewolves and vampires and I was anxious to see them. (Of course, Bram Stoker made us wait even longer and nobody holds that against him).

The pace improves when the action starts, and I didn't find the twists and turns too implausible. (What exactly constitutes 'implausible' in a vampire/werewolf plot, anyway?) The basic story of the Fangborn is simple and I like that. I'd rather the thriller part of the plot have the complexity.

I plan to continue reading the series. The next book in line is Pack of Strays

This book is currently available in the Kindle Unlimited program, with narration. I didn't listen to it so I can't rate that.

Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment